Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bee's Banana Bread Recipe... you will want to save this!

Bee's Banana Bread Recipe-
You will want to save this!
Are you ready for a taste of Heaven??? Introducing Bee’s Banana Bread Recipe! I’ve been working on this recipe for years, tweaking it here and there. What I now have is the most delicious banana bread recipe ever! It’s moist and spongy, sweet and decadent. This bread makes a delicious dessert and an even tastier breakfast. When this bread is baking, your entire house will be filled with the aromas that dreams are made of. Sometimes, I stand over the oven and just bathe in those warm cinnamon notes.

This recipe is literally fail-proof. I’ve “messed it up” on occasion and it still comes out delicious every time. One time, I completely forgot the egg and you couldn’t even tell a difference in the look or taste. So, if you want to leave out the egg to make this a Vegan recipe, feel free! I’ve tried this recipe with 1, 2, and 3 bananas… it has been a success each time, so use what you have even if it is only 1 banana.
 

Last year, I posted this recipe on my Facebook page and all of my friends went nuts! About once every few weeks, someone writes to me to ask for the recipe because they didn’t write it down, or lost it in a junk drawer. As of today, my flawless recipe will be out in cyberspace forever! Tip: Bookmark this page and try out this recipe on Saturday!


Classic Baking Ingredients



I hope that you enjoy it. I know you will! You, your friends, your family, your coworkers, your neighbor, your mailman… Just make it already!

Bee's Banana Bread
2-3 very ripe bananas
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten lightly
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon + extra for top
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
powdered sugar (optional)
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large  mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add all ingredients, ONE at a time, mixing well after each new ingredient. Batter will be smooth and glossy with small lumps of banana.
3. Pour into greased loaf pan.
4. Sprinkle extra cinnamon on top of the batter.
5. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Let sit to cool completely, or serve slightly warm. Add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to each slice if you like!

In my house, bananas don't go bad...
they get good!

In my house, we deliberately buy extra bananas just to let them “go bad.” The darker the better for this recipe! When bananas “go bad” they get super sweet. The sweetness and extra moisture is what makes this banana bread so good.

Bananas, Butter and Sugar... sounds like a dessert just by themselves!

The bananas I chose for this recipe were HUGE. Three very large bananas would probably be too many, so I only used two for this batch. When I mash up the bananas, I like to pick out the hard, black knots at the very end of the bananas. You don’t have to do this, but I like to. I tend to pick out anything that’s questionable, but I am a bit neurotic. (My friends and family reading this are saying, “A bit?!?!” lol)
LOTS of cinnamon on top of Bee's Banana Bread batter!
I like to sprinkle a bunch of cinnamon on the top of the batter once I’ve poured it into the loaf pan. I think that this helps it to form a really crusty crust. If you aren’t a fan of cinnamon you can completely eliminate it from the recipe. I’ve had to do it when I forgot to add it to the grocery list. Still delicious!

Check out that crust... Banana Bread fresh out of the oven!

One week last year, my neighbor went out of town. He left his golden retriever behind and asked for my Honey and I to dog sit. We LOVE to dog sit that sweet boy! On the very first day, I noticed that he had a huge bunch of organic bananas sitting on his kitchen counter. No way those things were going to last a week… by then they will be perfect for my banana bread. So, the evening before he came home, I made two loaves of banana bread. My Honey and I devoured one loaf and the other was waiting for my neighbor when he got home. He was so surprised! He said that he originally planned to share with his friends at work… but then he tried a piece and had to keep the whole loaf to himself!

Bee-utiful! Would you like a slice?

One evening, I put the banana bread in the oven as a storm was rolling through. About 20 minutes into the 1 hour baking time, the power went out. And it stayed out. After about 10 minutes of waiting for the power to come back on, I decided to just leave the loaf in the oven and see what happens. Luckily, I had not opened the oven door, so all of the heat was trapped inside. A friend of mine was visiting so we lit a few candles, told funny stories and watched the storm through the windows. After about 45 minutes, we got impatient (I told you about the amazing smell!) and opened the oven door. The banana bread was PERFECT!! This actually might have been the best banana bread that I have ever made. No joke. We sprinkled our powdered sugar in the dark kitchen and ate by candlelight. I’m telling you, this Bee’s Banana Bread Recipe is fool-proof.
I wish you could smell this Bee's Banana Bread...

Powdered sugar is optional... but I like my options!

I hope that you enjoy this recipe for many years to come! If you make a loaf, think about making a second one for your neighbor. You never know when someone could use a little comfort food. I like to show my love for others with food and other homemade goodies.


Please come back and leave me a comment if you use this recipe. I would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you for stopping by and Happy Baking!

Warmest Regards,
Bee
 


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous recipe! Thanks so much for sharing. YUM.....YUM......YUM

    ReplyDelete